The Vermont Ethics Network website contains information and resources on advance directives, health care decision making, and current topics related to health care ethics, end-of-life care, palliative care and pain management.
News & Events
TAKING STEPS – An Advance Care Planning Initiative
Advance Care Planning is for Everyone! In times of critical illness or injury when individuals have lost their decision making capacity, there is nothing more valuable than having an advance directive to guide your family and healthcare team.
Take this opportunity to begin the conversation and plan for your future health care needs. Start Now!
Take your FIRST STEP in the advance care planning process and appoint a health care agent.
FRONTLINE Teams with Atul Gawande to Explore Being Mortal
On February 10, 2015 Dr. Gawande brought his personal journey—and the stories of his patients and their families—to life, challenging us all to reexamine how we think about death and dying.
Watch the PBS Documentary
Going Your Way
According to a new End-of-Life Guide from consumer reports, a good death can be hard to achieve without advance planning.Read More at Consumer Reports
Articles & News
- February 6, 2016: The New York Times -- Not Just a Death, a System Failure, by Barbara Moran
- January 19, 2016: The New York Times -- Is It Better to Die in America or in England?, by Ezekial J. Emanuel and Justin E. Bekelman
- December 16, 2015: The Boston Globe -- A Parting Lesson from My Parents, by Andrew Dreyfus
- December 1, 2015: Kaiser Health News -- Aid-In-Dying Laws Only Accentuate Need For Palliative Care, Providers Say, by Anna Gorman
- November 20, 2015: The New York Times -- A Quiet End to the ‘Death Panels’ Debate, by Paula Span
- October 30, 2015: The New York Times -- New Medicare Rule Authorizes “End-of-Life” Consultations, by Robert Pear