The Vermont Ethics Network website contains information and resources on advance directives, health care decision making, and current topics related to health care ethics, end-of-life care, palliative care and pain management.
News & Events
Thursday, June 4, 2015
The Hospice and Palliative Care Council of Vermont's 24th Annual Conference
The Last Dance: Integrating Ethics into Hospice and Palliative Care
Lake Morey Resort & Conference Center
Keynote Presentation - Behind Frenemy Lines: Improving the Crucial Relationship Between Ethics and Palliative Care
By Robert Macauley, MD, MDiv, MFA
Printable Brochure &
TAKING STEPS – An Advance Care Planning Initiative
Advance Care Planning is for Everyone! In times of critical illness or injury when individuals have lost their decision making capacity, there is nothing more valuable than having an advance directive to guide your family and healthcare team.
Take this opportunity to begin the conversation and plan for your future health care needs. Start Now!
Take your FIRST STEP in the advance care planning process and appoint a health care agent.
FRONTLINE Teams with Atul Gawande to Explore Being Mortal
On February 10, 2015 Dr. Gawande brought his personal journey—and the stories of his patients and their families—to life, challenging us all to reexamine how we think about death and dying.
Watch the PBS Documentary
Going Your Way
According to a new End-of-Life Guide from consumer reports, a good death can be hard to achieve without advance planning.Read More at Consumer Reports
Articles & News
- May 2, 2015: The New York Times -- It’s Not Just About ‘Quality of Life’, Sandeep Jauhar
- April 29, 2015: The New York Times -- The Right Paperwork for Your End-of-Life Wishes, by Jessica Nutik Sitter. Download Vermont's COLST form.
- April 8, 2015: The New York Times -- Overruling My Father, by Barron H. Lerner
- March 28, 2015: The New York Times -- Teenagers Face Early Death, on Their Terms, by Jan Hoffman
- March 27, 2015: The New York Times -- Learning to Say No to Dialysis, by Paula Span
- February 25, 2015: The Onion -- If I End Up On Life Support, My Family Knows The Type Of Long, Protracted Legal Battle I Would Want, by Donald Reubens
- January 31, 2015: The New York Times -- Dying Shouldn’t Be So Brutal, by Ira Byock
- January 19, 2015: The New York Times -- Complexities of Choosing an End Game for Dementia, by Paula Span
- December 1, 2014: The New York Times -- Hoping for a Good Death
- October 6, 2014: Dr. Atul Gawande talks on advance care planning and his new book, Being Mortal, on Comedy Central
- September 17, 2014: The New York Times -- Panel Urges Overhauling Health Care at End of Life, by Pam Belluck
- September 17, 2014: Institute of Medicine -- Committee on Approaching Death: Addressing Key End of Life Issues Report Release